Apply to be a National City Police Dispatcher
Application: Apply using the City of National City’s online application.
Questions? Contact Human Resources (619) 336-4300
Critical Practice Testing – http://thepracticetest.com/
Retention Incentive Program
For those candidates transferring from another law enforcement agency with at least one (1) full year of comparable experience shall be eligible to receive $500 in conjunction with their first full pay period after hire.
After successful completion of the probationary period, employees shall be eligible to receive$1,000 in the first full pay period after one (1) year and one (1) day of employment as a National City Police Dispatcher. Employees shall be eligible for an additional $1,000 in the first full pay period upon successfully reaching two (2) years of employment with the National City Police Department, with a performance rating of satisfactory or above.
VACATIONS, HOLIDAYS AND LEAVES
Annual Vacation Leave
All accrual rates are calculated on the basis of biweekly pay periods:
1 through 5 years’ service – 3.08 hours per pay period
6 through 10 years’ service – 4.62 hours per pay period
11 through 12 years’ service – 4.94 hours per pay period
13 through 14 years’ service – 5.23 hours per pay period
15+ years’ service – 6.15 hours per pay period
New employees receive 40 hours of accrued vacation upon successful completion of nine (9) months of employment and 40 hours of accrued vacation upon successful completion of probationary. The probation period is one (1) year.
Sick Leave Accumulation
3.69 hours per biweekly pay period, up to a maximum of 360 hours.
HEALTH AND WELFARE
Health and Dental Insurance
The City provides a Cafeteria-style plan in which each employee receives a fixed amount to purchase health and dental coverage. An employee may elect not to participate in a City Sponsored Health plan and receive $125 a month maximum in lieu of coverage. (Proof of health coverage required.)
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)
The City offers both health and dependent/child care FSAs. The maximum annual Health FSA allocation is $2,000 per year, and dependent/child care FSAs are limited to $5,000 per year.
Employee Life Insurance
The City provides a Term Life Insurance of $25,000 for each employee. Additional Voluntary Life Insurance is available for employee and/or dependents at employee’s own expense.
Short Term / Long Term Disability Insurance
All employees shall participate in the City sponsored Disability Insurance program through payroll deduction at their own expense. If you are unable to work due to medical reasons for an extended period, be sure to check with the Human Resources Department or Payroll Division concerning this income protection program.
Career City employees are members of the California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS).
Tier 1: 3% @ 60 – Employees hired on or before March 21, 2011. (8% employee paid)
Tier 2: 2% @ 60 – (7% employee paid)
• Employees hired between March 22, 2011 and December 31, 2012.
• Employees hired on or after January 1, 2013 who are classified as continuing or “classic” members of the California Public Employees’ Retirement System as defined by the State of California Government Code and CalPERS regulations.
Tier 3: 2% @ 62 – Employees hired on or after January 1, 2013 who are new members to the California Public Employees Retirement System as defined by the State of California Government Code and CalPERS regulations. (6.75% employee paid)
The City does not participate in Social Security, except for the mandatory Medicare contribution.
Employee Assistance Program
The City will provide an Employee Assistance Program at no cost to the employee. The program is available to employees and dependents for professional counseling services in the area of marital, drug, and alcohol, stress, and other psychological problems.
$50.00 per pay period.
Up to $1,200 per fiscal year for fees and related expenses.
Deferred Compensation and Roth IRA Plans
Career employees are eligible to participate in a deferred compensation and/or Roth IRA plans through ICMA. These accounts are voluntary and are employee funded.
To view the Memorandum of Understanding for the Municipal Employees’ Association, please visit the following website: www.nationalcityca.gov
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent and two (2) years of public contact or clerical experience which demonstrate the ability to perform multiple tasks at the same time and use short-term recall skills. Previous radio communications experience is desirable.
- Possession of an approved certificate, less than one (1) year old, indicating the ability to type at a net rate of 40 words per minute is required.
The examination process will consist of the following:
- Application: Candidates must submit a City and Supplemental Application and Typing Certificate by the closing date listed. Only those candidates whose applications indicate the required education and experience most directly related to the position will be invited to continue in the selection process.
- Performance Test: Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be invited to take the Criticall test. Criticall is a computer based test that simulates a generic dispatch environment and designed to measure the abilities and skills critical for public safety dispatchers such as multitasking, prioritization, map reading, memory recall, comprehension and data entry. Candidates will be notified of the date, time, and location of the test.
- Oral Board Interview: Candidates who pass the CritiCall exam will be invited for an interview.
Applications are screened and interviews are scheduled periodically as they become necessary. Applicants who have been certified to have taken and passed the Public Safety Dispatcher Examination and found most qualified will be invited to an oral examination to determine placement on the eligibility list, which will be valid for one (1) year. An extensive background investigation, including fingerprinting, psychological evaluation, voice stress recognition and/or polygraph test, alcohol/drug screening and a thorough medical examination will be required for finalists prior to hire.
If you have further questions about the hiring process, please contact anyone in the Recruiting/Background Division Monday-Thursday, 0600-1600 hours:
Detective Camilo Gutierrez / Tel. 619-336-4357 / email@example.com